Detailed Guide to fix Corrupt OST File Data
In this article, we will understand the concept of OST files and the reasons behind the OST file getting corrupted. Also, we will discuss the various ways to fix corrupt OST files. This blog will help you with the three best approaches to repair OST files. Read this article attentively to get the best solutions to fix the corruption from your OST file.
Offline Storage Table (OST) refers to an offline Outlook file folder that allows the users to work in offline mode. Users can perform any work like checking the existing emails, deleting the unwanted emails, or saving drafts. Once we reconnect with the internet, whatever the changes we do offline, will automatically synchronize with the server. This is one of the best features of Outlook that we can work offline and is also very useful when we have limited or intermittent connectivity to the internet.
However, sometimes there are the chances that your OST file gets corrupted because of any reason. In that case, the user has to repair the corrupted OST files and then convert OST file to PST to back up the crucial data. In the upcoming section, we will discuss some of the most common reasons why an OST file gets corrupted and the ways through which we can repair corrupt OST files.
Reasons Behind Outlook Data File Corruption
Before moving towards the solution to repair OST files, first, we will discuss the reasons that may involve the corruption of OST files. There are various reasons that an Outlook OST file gets corrupted. The most common reasons that may corrupt your OST files are mentioned below.
- Virus or malware attack: OST files can be infected by viruses or malware attacks. It is one of the most common factors behind any type of file corruption.
- Oversized or Bulky Files: It can also be the reason for the corrupted file. The Outlook mailbox has a maximum limit to storing any file. If any file exceeds that limit, then file corruption may occur.
- Poor Connection: If the internet connection is not working properly when the OST file is being synchronized with the online server, it may lead to corruption of the file.
- Closing Outlook Inappropriately: During the process of synchronization, if the computer shuts down due to unexpected power failure, this may corrupt the OST file.
Quick Solutions to Fix Corrupt OST Files
There are various methods through which you can easily repair corrupt OST files. Some of the best methods are mentioned below that will guide you to fix your corrupt file. You can use these methods for all the versions of Outlook.
Method 1: Fix OST corrupt file By Recreating the OST file
- First, open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Then, click on the Control Panel and select the Mail Option.
- After selecting the mails option, click on the Show Profile tab.
- Then, double-click on the Outlook option to open the Mail Setup wizard.
- After that, tap on the Email Accounts and navigate to the Data Files menu from the Account Settings panel.
- After that, select the OST file path and click on Open File Location.
- In the end, Delete the Corrupt File.
After successfully deleting the corrupted files, you can set up your account with the same credentials. Also, without losing any data, you can create a new OST File that Outlook will automatically synchronize with the online server.
Method 2: Fix OST Corrupt File Using ScanPST
- Firstly, install the scanpst.exe tool on your computer.
- After successful installation of scanpst.exe, open the inbox repair tool.
- After that, click on the Browse button and provide the location of the OST file that you want to repair.
- Then, click on Start to scan the file option.
- Once the scanning is completed, then click on the Backup option.
- After that, select the Repair option to repair the file.
- In the end, press the Ok button.
In some cases, the above methods don’t work properly. For example, if you are trying to fix large or heavy files with the help of the scanpst.exe tool, it may stop responding and fail to repair your OST file. However, these methods are a time-consuming process and also difficult to understand and follow all steps in an accurate manner.
In such a case, the best and quickest way to fix and recover your OST file is to use a secure OST File Recovery Tool.
Direct Approach to Repair Corrupt OST File
Cigati OST File Recovery Tool is one of the best tools that has many features like it is secure, user-friendly, and can repair your corrupted file in a very short time. Moreover, it also provides the benefit to convert your recovered file into multiple file formats such as PST, EML, DBX, MSG, etc. Additionally, this software provides three modes of recovery i.e., Standard, Advanced, and Deep, to recover your emails from OST files.
In this article, we have discussed why OST files get corrupted and the best possible manual methods to fix corrupt OST files. We have also discussed using the manual method to fix small OST file corruption. If the corruption is high, we have to go with the OST File Recovery tool, which is safe and secure to repair the corrupted file.