Top Cloud Developer Interview Questions for Recruiters in 2022
Success in the tech industry is often determined by how well a team works on the projects. Cloud computing is one of the most in-demand skills in the present tech industry as it can allow companies to produce superior products within their budget. Companies worldwide are always looking for the best available talent to scale their tech stack, especially when recruiting cloud experts.
Cloud infrastructure developers can help companies to build modern cloud-based solutions. But while organizations are finding success, a lot is determined by the quality of talent assembled for the projects.
While conducting a proper recruitment drive can be a tedious affair, being able to vet applicants thoroughly can help to build great engineering teams. So, if you’re looking for talented cloud engineers to take charge of projects, here are some interview questions that should help identify the best applicants.
Being able to ask the right questions can help recruiters build a better team for cloud native development services. It allows recruiters to get a fair idea about the strengths of applicants.
Let’s take a look at some of the top cloud interview questions:
When asking this question, check if developers can mention and explain all key layers that define a cloud architecture.
- The physical layer comprises physical servers, routers, networks, and similar resources.
- The infrastructure layer comprises resources like virtualized servers, networking, and storage solutions. Often managed using the IaaS model, cloud native development services offer resources like servers, networks, and other hardware to customers.
- The platform layer comprises development platforms like Azure, Google App Engine, etc. Often available as a PaaS product, it offers a complete set of tools to build and host applications.
- The application layer is the user-facing layer that helps users interact with the cloud services. Mainly marketed as a SaaS product, it hosts software that customers use and is readily available over the web. Examples include Google Apps, Salesforce.com, Youtube, etc.
Software as a Service or SaaS is a process of delivering applications and services over the internet. Instead of investing in on-premises storage solutions, SaaS services allow developers to access every tool and resource through the web. The introduction of SaaS solutions has improved countless organizations’ development processes. It has not just improved the chances of building better software but also made essential resources available with only a few clicks.
As a recruiter, it is important to look for cloud developers who are not just coding experts but must also have a clear understanding of the available choices to make informed decisions.
Modern cloud-based large-scale development projects are often managed using tools like Apache Hadoop, MapReduce, Amazon Web Services, and more. Try to understand applicants’ in-depth knowledge about the resources and their working experience.
Working with cloud-based technologies can offer various benefits to companies and developers alike. Some of the most evident advantages of choosing the technology include:
- Cost efficiency
- Deeper insights
- Improved teamwork
- Disaster recovery
- Automatic updates
Most modern digital solutions are built using cloud computing technologies to offer fast execution and real-time on-demand availability. This is why it has become essential for tech firms to hire developers capable of handling complex projects.
● What are the different models for deployment in cloud computing?
Cloud-based solutions are deployed using a number of different models based on project requirements. When hiring cloud infrastructure developers, try to look for applicants who are well-versed with variants like public, private, community, and hybrid clouds.
Regarding cloud computing services, terms like elasticity and scalability are mentioned time and again. While they may sound kind of similar, it is not the same.
Elasticity is maintained to match the allocated resources with the actual requirement at any given time. But scalability offers the ability to meet evolving needs of applications within the bounds of the infrastructure in place. Developers can quickly scale solutions by statically adding or removing resources or features whenever required.
● What are the security benefits of cloud computing?
One of the primary reasons behind the success of cloud computing is the security features it offers to the users. Developers prefer to choose cloud-based development for:
- High availability – Cloud services offer on-demand access to products and services over the internet.
- Complete protection from DDoS intrusions – Cloud services can help safeguard virtual servers and networks using DDoS mitigation techniques.
- Data security and backup – Opting for cloud services allow businesses to improve security and availability features by using multiple backup servers ready to manage downtime and external intrusions.
- Advanced threat detection – Cloud services offer access to various security features, often customizable based on requirements.
- Real-time monitoring – Using cloud-based solutions, users can access real-time analytics and data to make well-informed decisions.
Such questions help recruiters get a fair understanding of developers’ skills. Check if the applicants can mention the security features mentioned above.
Cloud computing offers virtual resources capable of helping businesses store, organize, share, and operate data efficiently from anywhere using the internet. Traditional data centers heavily depend on in-house storage solutions and constant investments to maintain the quality of services in place. Cloud services are often marketed in different models taking away the burdens of maintaining an in-house infrastructure.
Any experienced cloud developer should be able to answer this question in detail. Try to check how well they are able to explain the concept and if they are also able to touch upon the financial aspect as well.
Today, APIs are one of the most widely used resources to build modern digital solutions and services, especially for cloud-based applications. Cloud services prefer integrating APIs to enable customers to easily access applications or services like compute infrastructure, storage resources, or monitoring tools.
● What are some large cloud providers and databases?
When hiring developers, it is important to find experts who are not just excellent coders but also have a thorough idea about the most significant cloud service providers available. Check if the applicants can mention names like:
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Platform
- Oracle database
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Amazon RDS
- IBM Db2 etc
Recruiters facing an uphill task trying to recruit cloud engineers is not uncommon. Often recruiters fail to ask the right questions relevant to the project and skill in question. Performing thorough research can be hugely beneficial and help recruiters prepare the right questions to vet applicants.
Some of the significant benefits include:
- Ability to build a team of proven cloud experts
- Minimizing the risk of selecting the wrong talent
- Build proper strategies for hiring cloud developers
- Hiring candidates capable of contributing from day one
- Improved collaboration among team members
The process of hiring cloud developers can be a tricky task, especially with an evolving market. While it can be challenging to identify the best available talent, a proper strategy and thorough research can be helpful. Asking the right questions is crucial to determining a candidate’s potential and technical expertise. It also helps recruiters understand how candidates navigate challenging situations and find innovative solutions. Prepare a list of all the interview questions, including technical and non-technical questions, to find the best talent and help your company build next-generation applications.
Sayan Sinha Sayan is a web content developer with an affinity for the global tech industry and writing in a variety of niches. When not active on the web, you can find him hiking in some wilderness or playing some kind of sports.